How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 818
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

My 15 year old son is gay and has had a boyfriend for a few

This answer was rated:

My 15 year old son is gay and has had a boyfriend for a few months. My wife and I have known for a while but the rest of the family only found out recently as my son brought his boyfriend to a family party and introduced him as such. It would seem my father-in-law is homophobic and not happy about having a gay grandson. He has been giving my wife and I a lot of hassle since he found out, to which I have told him to keep his nose out and his bigoted opinions to himself.
Today he text my wife and told her he was reporting us to the police for encouraging our son to have sex underage. This is obviously nonsense. We are supporting who are son is, thats it. What he is doing sexually with his boyfriend I dont know and its not my business - he is a young man now and thats how I treat him.
My question is if my father-in-law goes to the police to say this what will the police say to him and what will they do or not do. I am not worried from the point of veiw of getting into trouble as I havent done anything wrong however if my son finds out his grandfather has done this he will be upset. I just want to understand how the police will react to this.
Many thanks
Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this. There is no such offence as encouraging under age sex. There is an offence of arranging or facilitating a child sexual offence. To be guilty of this one must deliberately arrange or facilitate an act involving under age sex and intends another person to do, or believes that another person will commit such an act.
Clearly this is not the case here.
In order for the police to take action there has to be an allegation of a crime. There is no crime. I think the police will politely tell him to go and take absolutely no action at all.
LondonlawyerJ and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. This is what I thought (and hoped).