How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71048
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I forgot to insure one of the many tenancy deposits , this

This answer was rated:

I forgot to insure one of the many tenancy deposits , this one I forgot to insure is now wanting 3 x amount, I can insure it late? will fee still reply
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
You can protect it late and you should do so to reduce the culpability. However, the claim can still be brought against you for three times the sum of the deposit under the Localism Act. That does not mean they would get three times the sum. It is an award up to three times the sum. The sooner you protect it the less likely you are to be penalised.
However, you need to return the deposit before you can serve a S21 notice. You cannot just legitimise your position by protecting it now.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you confirming in all cases you need to return deposits in full before serving S21? I have never returned a deposit whilst tenant in occupation. What if they owe lots of arrears and the property is ruined? How could you return the deposit?

If you don't return the deposit the S21 notice is invalid.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If Insure the deposit should Insure it in both names on the tenancy agreement. As not both parties paid the deposit it was just one of the tenants - I am unsure jjust to insure her name as she paid in full or both tenants that are on the agreement

It should normally be in the name of the person or persons who paid you.
Jo C. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you