How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71035
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I had an affair with a lady, I am married, she is not, the

This answer was rated:

I had an affair with a lady, I am married, she is not, the affair lasted a couple of years on and off and has now stopped at my request. Since stopping I have been plagued with nuisance calls and been signed up to all kinds of weird and wonderful web sites, when challenged she admitted she had been on some web site on how to get revenge on your ex which I can kind of cope with but it has now moved up a level to the point where she insists she is going to tell my wife unless I pay her a compensation payment for what she is calling a contract of silence? She says she has a figure in mind but at the moment has not stated the figure. This sounds to me like blackmail which I thought was illegal but can I do anything to stop her?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
That is blackmail. You can report it to the police and they should act. Blackmail is taken very seriously and she will need to bring her toothbrush to court when she is sentenced!
Obviously that does not stop her from revealing this. It does tend to turn attention away from the power that people have when they get arrested though. There is no way of preventing her from revealing this ultimately but if she gets picked up for blackmail she will have other things to worry about.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you