How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71153
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My son had a nervous breakdown last November he stayed with

This answer was rated:

My son had a nervous breakdown last November he stayed with us up till 3 weeks ago when he went to stay with his granny . In the last two weeks he has made a acquisition about child abuse against his sister and her partner which was a lie and now he is threatening to get a restraining order against my partner for threatening and abusing him .all we keep on get is texts from him that are threatening and abusing us tell me that I am dead to him and calling us vile names and threats .we have contacted his doctor who he is under for his breakdown we were told he cannot talk to us because of patient confidentiality my partner has a fac and a shotgun certificate and is worried about losing his certificates with being accused by my son and I am very worried about my son mental state as he has tried to kill himself before I need advice please
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What would you like to know about this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How can we get him help legally and what can my partner do to protect his fac and shotgun certificate legally

Help him legally to do what?
Help who legally?
Would it be possible to ask a specific question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How to get my son help with his mental problems and stop him texting all these accusations as his doctor unable to help and my son does not think he has a problem it is everyone else who has a problem

And can my partner do anything legally to stop my son threatening him with injunctions and restraining orders because my partner is worried that he may lose his fac

Yes you can

1 There isn't any of doing that per se. You can always make a report to social services who will investigate his mental health but that doesn't stop him making allegations. There is no way of doing that.
You can always make a complaint to the police if he is sending you texts to which you are not responding. The risk is that it might lead to formal counter allegations of course.
2 You can complain to the police about the texts. They would probably give him a harassment warning to stop him making contact
The risk is that that may prompt him to make formal allegations and that would have an impact on his firearms licence.
If that does happen then you can appeal any decision to remove his licence. It is fair to say that they do tend to play these things safely. The police are nothing if not risk adverse. That said, if you don't live with your son then he is not in direct risk so the need to remove the licence isn't as clear cut as some other cases. They may do it anyway but the appeal option is one to consider.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you