How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34895
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Please can you tell me how to get contact with my grandson.

Customer Question

Please can you tell me how to get contact with my grandson. My son is sole carer and we have fallen out. I have looked after Dylan every weekend since he was 2 months old, he lived with me for 8 months and after that stayed with me for 3 nights a week until last June 2013 when it went back to weekends only. We have an incredible bond and my son is being vile. My grandsons mum is happy for me to see him but she has not looked after him since November 2013 when she got mental health problems which is when my son took charge of Dylan.
Please help - Dylan and I had such a close bond and I have now not been allowed to see him for 2 months. My son will not back down or understand the emotional harm he could cause.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What has provoked this breakdown between you and your son?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My son and i fell out because I have had a boyfriend since May and my son does not want him staying over whilst I have Dylan. I agreed to this and so on a weekend my fella would go home. It escalated because my son asked me to have Dylan for a week whilst he went away for a holiday with his girlfriend. I asked if my fella could stay over as i did not think it fair to be asked to not see my fella for a week. At that point my son said no and told me I was putting my life before my family. He said if i couldnt do this for him then I could forget seeing Dylan altogether. I have since tried to reason with him and apologised for not agreeing to have Dylan for a week but to no avail. He is unfortunately like his dad - very controlling and has a temper. (This is why i left his dad 5 years ago) My son is very abusive to me and states I cannot see Dylan and if and when he decides he will let me know. I have been told by my son not to contact him as this is making matters worse. Dylan's mum has no problem letting me see Dylan but she is not his primary carer due to mental illness and not strong enough to fight my son. It is all so sad

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Although Grand Parents have no automatic right to apply to the Court for Contact with a child, it is possible to ask the court for permission to do so, and where there is an existing close relationship then there is a good chance that the court will not only give permission - but will also Order contact.
Your starting point is to try and discuss matters with your son using Family mediation ( to discuss what is best for the child - who has had a close relationship with you and must be missing you.
If the mediation fails then you can make a combined application to the court for contact - and for permission to apply for contact.
The forms you need are here
and more information is here
Please ask if you need further details