How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34896
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

HI I shared a house with joint tenancy with my ex partner

Customer Question

HI I shared a house with joint tenancy with my ex partner , I moved out in may 2013 her remained , when he left he owed four months rent totalling 2,000 our land lord has taken it to court and today I have received a court judgment saying I have to pay the money owing is there any thing I can do to make my ex pay for this and I have lost my deposit of 600 because of this , thank you for your help
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Has the Landlord taken action against you both?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes as it was a joint tenancy agreement, I have been informed by the court that I will have to pay half the amount back thank you

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
So far as the Landlord is concerned this is indeed a Joint and Several debt and yes you will have to pay at least half of the debt.
HOWEVER you can then issue court proceedings against your ex to recover however much you have had to pay since the debt was his
You can use this service to claim the funds
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details