How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71056
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

i had a case with an estate agent and I went to the Property

This answer was rated:

i had a case with an estate agent and I went to the Property Ombudsman and complained and they took up the case with the agent . they heard both sides of our story and judged in my favour and requested the estate agent to refund my registration fee which they refused to returned initially. the Estate agent was given 25 days to comply but they have refused to give back my money. My worry is if they refused to give this money back , there is very little the Ombudsman can do. the ombudsman have said that that they intend to discipline the agent for refusal to comply but my money is still not recovered. what else can I do ? Now that the ombudsman has almost completed their work and does look powerless to do so much towards the recovery of my money. I cannot take them to court because a large amount of this money I am trying to recover will be gone by the end of the case by lawyers fees . How can I redress this issue and get my money back (about 4000pounds )
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
There is no reason why you cannot take this to the Small Claims Court yourself. There is no need for solicitors because you would not recover those costs in any event.
You can easily issue Small Claims Court proceedings against the agent by following this link
You can then use the ombudsman's decision as part of your evidence in court.
The money claim system is designed for people to use in the Small Claims Court and to be done without legal representation.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo,

what do you mean by small claims court and how do they operate ?

The court for claims of small value.
You can issue here
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you