How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71043
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

what can i do my company was buying a car and selling to a

Customer Question

what can i do my company was buying a car and selling to a taxi driver over 74 weeks and the car at the end of that time would then belong him.he then murdered someone in that car and the car has been with forensics ever since he was arrested.he has been sentenced to life imprisonment but we have been told by the police that the car has to remain with them in case he appeals (not that we would want the car back after someone was murdered in it)we have written to the police to find out about compensation for the loss of this car and they have said that they are not liable to compensate us for it so who can help us?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
I am really sorry but I cannot give you good news.
You do have a claim. It is against your contractual partner. Unfortunately he is a man of straw because he is in prison for life and will have no money.
Unfortunately the police are not liable as they were acting lawfully.
Sometimes the Chief Constable will honour requests for compensation in these circumstances. It is generally recognised that it falls very onerously upon innocent parties who have their property seized as exhibits and evidence gathering sources. However, if he refuses you do not have an action against the police.
They will ultimately release it after the time period for an appeal is passed but that doesn't help now.
I am sorry but thats your position.
Can I clarify anything for you?