How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71159
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I lent my laptop computer to my daughter to do her A level

This answer was rated:

I lent my laptop computer to my daughter to do her A level work on, and my wife who she lives with has taken it of her and is refusing to give it back. All my daughters work is on it
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Why has she taken it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She said she has to show more respect for her mother and this is suppose to be punishment. This is because my daughter would not take the password ***** off.i told her not to take it wife has access to anouther computer so does not need my laptop, and she is delaying my daughters work.
So is she saying she will return it ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
she is still refusing to return it
Obviously she is acting unlawfully. It depends how much money you want to spend on this.
You could report it to the police if she is refusing to return it to you as it is a technical theft but they would probably say its a civil matter.
Alternatively you could sue for the actual value of the laptop which might lead to her returning it. It might aslo lead to her refusing and, of course, that does nothing about the information.
If you want her to actually return the laptop then the only of doing so is to seek an injunction forcing her to hand it over. That is expensive I'm afraid. You can recover from her but that only works if she has the money to pay.
Sorry if that's bad news.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you