How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

we live in a flat next to a car audio shop who park their customers

This answer was rated:

we live in a flat next to a car audio shop who park their customers cars on the pavement in front of our house, sometimes blocking the door and always blocking the pavement for pedestrians and wheelchairs. Is this illegal and what can i do about it?
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Have you reported this to the police or council yet please?

We havent yet, the owners of the shop said the pavement in front of their shop was their property to do with what they liked so we didnt know if the police or council would listen to us?


hi there, I am not sure if this is answered. Should I call the police?

Alex Watts : Is it a public pathway?



yes it is


Could you advise?

You have rated BAD SERVICE, but I have not given you the answer yet.
Is it a public pathway or privately owned?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry Alex I have never used this, I keep getting emails saying my question is answered and please rate so I had to rate Bad as I haven't received a full answer. sorry. Can I change it?

The pathway is on the high street so I would assume a public pathway, there are no indications it is privately owned

Ok. You should complain to the Police and the Council. This is anti social behaviour and the council can take action under the anti social Behaviour act 2013. Further the Highways Department of the council can take action. They simply should not allow customers to park on the path.
You can also complain to the police but I suspect they will say it's a council matter.
If the council do not do anything you can complain to the chief officer of the council and your councillor. After all that is what the councillor is elected for. The chief officers office would investigate any complaint and come back to you. If you are not happy with that response then you can complain to the ombudsman.
They offer a free, independent service and their website is However they will have expected you to take the above steps first.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you