How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10740
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

I am currently renting a property via a private landlord and

This answer was rated:

I am currently renting a property via a private landlord and have a very good relationship with them,
However, they do use an Estate Agent to manage the property and my Rent is paid directly to the Estate Agent.
The Agent has advised me that should I have anyone else living in the property on a permanent basis, they must be advised so that they can process credit checks on the person firstly I would like to know if this is correct, as my son is looking to move in with me.
Secondly, I am terminally ill with a brain tumour and have limited life expectancy as a result, this being the main reason for my son to come and live with me.
I was wondering if I should suggest / arrange for the current Tenancy Agreement to be updated to joint names ie myself & my son?
On that basis, when my time comes he would still have a 'home' to live in.
I believe this would involve a fee, but wondered if you could advise as to how much I could expect to pay, & are the Agents correct when they state a credit check must be obtained for anyone who lives with me ?
Thank you for any advice you can offer
Paula Geary
07774 263853
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
I am sorry to hear of your position.
As the sole Tenant at the moment, only you have the right to occupy the property, and if a third party moves in to the property without the Landlord's consent, you would be breaching the Tenancy Agreement.
Therefore, to enable your son to move in with you, you will need the Landlord's consent, and he is entitled to ask your Son to pay an admin fee so the necessary credit checks can be carried out. This fee is likely to cost £300-£400, and I'm afraid all Landlords/Managing Agents make this charge.
Once approved, the Landlord can then add your Son to the Tenancy Agreement, so that he has equal rights to you to remain living in the property for the duration of the Tenancy Agreement.
I hope this assists you and answers your question.
Kind Regards
Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you