How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35091
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Do deal with relationship.? After 26 years of solemn promises

This answer was rated:

Do deal with relationship.? After 26 years of solemn promises of eternal love she met another man. I am devastated. I gave her my life and about £120,000 in cash and presents plus an immense amount of jewellery..She wrecked my life. If you can help I will give you more details. Yours sincerely james.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Were you married to each other?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. We used to work together. Fall in love with each other. Everyday for over 20 yrs, She promised never to leave me. We are both married but she lost her husband last year. Had not been for her promises I would not have got involved so deeply. I gave her everything, so much so that she used to call me: my devoted servant.

How did you give her the money?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the reply. will contact you tonight because i will be traveling.

Will explain how.

That is fine
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

£2300 per year for the maintenance of her second flat left by her father.

£3600 per year for her to record my expenses on on a prepared sheet.

(there was no need for it as I automatically recorded them on the computer for my accountant) was just to help her.

£600 per year for some cosmetic treatment.

£6000 to help her to cover the costs of when she purchased a new house; and various other cash payments plus furniture and electrical appliances and many other things.

Note: It is not the money that worries me as it is her betrayal that has devastated me. She made me swear to never leave her and she promised the same almost every day for over 20 years.

I assume that all of these were expressed as gifts?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes.I loved her immensely. In addition to the above sum, I used to bring her a lot of presents every time I returned from my travels abroad and an immense amounts of jewellery.

I do not want to sue her, I just want to know if it was correct of her to breach her promises. If so, I would like to receive a letter addressed to me from a barrister confirming that: Not only she breached her promises but also she should return some of the money given to her plus all and each one of the jewellery items which were given to her with the deepest love based on her promises.

I promises that I will not sue her. If this is possible, please let me know how much it will cost.

Regards James

i am afraid that there is no longer and concept of Breach of Promise in the law as between two people in a relationship
The only basis on which you could recover anything is to sue her for any money that you gave her on the grounds that it was given on the basis that the relationship would continue
I am sorry to give you such bad news - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Ms Clare

Thank you for all your excellent help.

May use your service another time

Best regards


Hi JamesYou are most welcome - I hope the future is brighter for youClare
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi from James

Is it possible to receive a letter addressed to me confirming your suggestion about suing her on the grounds that the money and jewellery were given to her on the basis that the relationship would continue? If this is possible and since it is just an advisory non committal letter; could it be written on an official Barrister head paper? If OK, please let me know how much it would cost.



I am afraid that this is a question and answer forum and I am not able to write such a letter for you - but you can print off this conversation of course