How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34885
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My common in law wife died in 2009 I had to make a parental

This answer was rated:

My common in law wife died in 2009 I had to make a parental court order to get a passport in 2010. for my son.We had lived together as a family for 19 years. how could I now get out of parental responsibility . he is now sixteen?
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Who does the child currently live with?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare,

my son has lived with me his entire life. It was only when my late partner died, that I found out I could not get a passport for him to go on holiday. My son has my surname and I am the named father on his birth certificate.



Then I am sorry but there is no basis on which your Parental Responsibility will now be revoked - it will simply end on his 18th birthday.
I am afraid the fact that you are his parent and he lives with you would make you liable if there are school problems - whether or not you had PR.
Please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you