How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I have a lease on a first and second floor maisonette above

This answer was rated:

I have a lease on a first and second floor maisonette above commercial premises, dated 26th April, 1995, The Term being 99 years from 25th December, 1994. My son and myself have lived permanently in the premises throughout. We would now like to extend the lease. I have written to the freeholder requesting this and asking her price, but have had no reply. Do we have a right to this and, if so. how should we proceed?
Many thanks for your prompt reply.
Sylvia C. Cook.
Yes, you have a right to ask for an extension of the lease.
As the process is quite complicated, I would suggest that you appoint a solicitor to handle the process for you so that the freeholder takes you seriously as you have had no response from the freeholder
You may appoint a fixed fee solicitor to handle the process for you e.g.
Hope this helps
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. I'll write to her again pointing out that I have that right. After that, if no joy, I'll consider engaging a solicitor.

Welcome. All the best