How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi I was born in South Africa. My grandfather was born

Customer Question

I was born in South Africa. My grandfather was born in Lucca Italy. Thus I have Italian citizenship and passport. With this in hand we moved from South Africa to England mid August of this year. My mother (also Italian passport) whom has Dementia came along. She was very healthy and very mobile. On September 12th, she had a stroke and ended up in Hinchingbrooke hospital. After a month in this hospital we still had no diagnosis, then suddenly we were informed that within 7 days we had to pay the full bill and remove my mother or she will be evicted. Nobody spoke, advised or even mentioned something like this to me. The social services lady informed me that they were finding out through their legal department if they can send my mother back to South Africa. My mother does not have anyone left in South Africa that can help her. I feel this is against her human rights. Since the stroke she needs full time care. I am looking for work at the moment. Please could you give me advise as to what I should do?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
As an Italian national, your mother cannot be removed from the UK unless she is a threat to public security or public security.
So you do not need to worry as she will not be removed.
Also, as an EEA national, she is entitled to free NHS care if she is residing in the UK now and the intention is to live in the UK permanently. She has the right to live in the UK permanently if she is self sufficient.
As a job seeker, you are exercising treaty rights in the UK.
So, the bill should be appealed against and overturned and there is no worry about her being removed from the UK.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Thank you for your response. The hospital and social services seems to have a problem with the fact that we have only been in the country since August.

My mother is receiving a pension from South Africa and I will also contribute once I have found employment. Can we request social services to assist us in finding a residential home for her?

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Yes, you may do so.
All the best