How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

if someone plants a video in my house, can that recording be

This answer was rated:

if someone plants a video in my house, can that recording be used in court against me?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am asking this question on behalf of a friend. Her ex boyfriend has handed in a video to the police which shows a woman smoking joints. She has later found many bugging devices in her house which was planted by him and he has admitted to that. She has not been charged yet. So I am just curious as to if illegally obtained videos - if they are presentable in court.

Yes, they are. That is not illegally obtained anyway. It would be if the police had done this as they need lots of authorities to do that but individual citizens are free to record.
However, it is very unlikely that this will prove the offence. Unless they have seized the 'joint' and analysed it and can show it is a prohibited substance they cannot prove it.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there any case against invasion of privacy? can one protect against such intrusion?

You don't have a freestanding tort of privacy in the UK. There has been an attempt to make the HRA apply which has largely failed I'm afraid.
For that reason, I am sorry but there isn't any action that can be taken over this.
There are offences in filming somebody doing something really private like using a bathroom but thats not what you are describing.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you