How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35039
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Our father has recently suffered a stroke and is in hospital.

This answer was rated:

Our father has recently suffered a stroke and is in hospital. (There are three of us). We need to be able to access his bank and or building society accounts to stop several payments going out - one for a car loan and also to get cash for his day-to-day expenses. My brother has flown over from the USA for a couple of weeks to help me sort things out. What is the easiest way to do things please?
Julie Keen
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Does your father still have mental capacity?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


It is still early days, he suffered the stroke on Sunday 5th October. Some days he appears to be much more aware and able to understand us and some days he barely seems to recognise us. Yesterday, Sunday 12th October, he was the most aware and communicative he has been, but, still very limited. Hopefully, his communication and awareness and mental capacity will only increase over time but no one can say with any certainty if that will happen and how long it might take. He is currently significantly physically debilitated. He is right handed and it appears that all the motor skills of his right limbs are compromised.

The issue is whether or not your father has sufficient understanding to sign (or make his mark on) a Power of attorney.
This is something you should ask his consultant about.
You can read more here
If not the only way forward is to apply to the Court of Protection to be appointed as his Deputy.
You can read more here
Neither of these options are instant (a major flaw in the system)
But you do need to start as soon as possible
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help and assistance. Sadly Dad passed away early on Saturday morning.

I am so very very sorry for your loss - mine passed away in March.
There are no words - but memories can comfort
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you