How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71146
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am having some issues with harassment, eaves dropping, telephone

Customer Question

I am having some issues with harassment, eaves dropping, telephone bugging, from a known individual.
They have called my mobile phone, office phone etc.
Is there any legal way to stop this?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Why are they making contact?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well - this person was my partners ex-boyfriend. He has been reported for domestic abuse. The police is investigating. He is being investigated for phone hacking, planting recording devices in the house etc.

He is on police bail and is not supposed to be in contact with her.

He even found out where I live, as my partner is living with me now, and has turned up on our street.

On a couple of occasions - we say someone taking a picture of our street, and this weekend, we noticed a car following us from one place back to our house.

We are not sure if he has employed private people to follow us around.

I am at my wits end.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Why are you involved in this? This is her issue.
Would you mind if I speak frankly to you for your protection?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes please do. My partner lives with me. So I am involved. This person is harassing me as well. He is calling my number, and also my office number.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I understand but you are only involved because of your connection with her. I do realise that this has affected you but only because she has this relationship issue. This is not your problem. I know you want to be a supportive partner but you can do that without exposing yourself to her bullets.
You are free to report any contact that you have had from him to the police. I wouldn't normally recommend it as it will just get you further involved but I think at this stage then it is probably the safest option. Had you posted earlier I would have told you to leave the whole issue to her which might have avoided the targeting of you.
On no account confront him. Do not engage. Do not get involved. It is very unlikely that he has any direct interest in you and it will all fall away. I do understand that this isn't what you want to do basically because you feel a duty to protect her. However, take it from me, that is a bad idea. I have been involved in criminal law most of my life and I have lost count of the number of perfectly law abiding men who have ended up in trouble with the police that stays with them for life essentially because they were sorting out the problems that women should be dealing with themselves.
I am sorry this is hard hitting but it is for your own good. You are not responsible for your partner's problems.
Can I clarify anything for you?