How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71133
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

my son in law so in prison 300 miles from were his wife and

This answer was rated:

my son in law so in prison 300 miles from were his wife and 2 small children live. is there anything we can do to get him moved closer as his family can not visit him as to far to take to small children.he was jailed 4 months ago for 15 years for drug offences.he was in nottingham jail to start with and they visited every 10 days which was good for them but now they have not seen him for a month and it starting to effect them all. we have wrote to both prisons and lowdan which he had a transfer to which is 15 mins away but they now sent him there and we getting little response. thankyou darron quinn
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Why was he moved?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the letters say the pmu moved him because a space came up. before this he had a letter saying he would be allowed to lawdan when a space came up. they say now he will be there for 6 months at least. we are worried that he could be there for years as why move him now. we need help in what to do, and who to right to as getting nowhere and this only adding to the pain for his family

There can be lots of reasons for a transfer and they could take forever to sort it out. We both know what the prison service is like.
He can apply for a transfer to a prison closer to his family. They will respond fairly quickly but it is fair to say that they will not transfer automatically. Priority is often given to people who are suffering poor health.
If it is refused then he can appeal to Prison Headquarters and thereafter to the Ombudsman.
Thereafter the only further option is judicial review. That is expensive but decisions of the Prison Service have been successfully judicially reviewed before.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you