How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71138
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am estanged from my daughter who is now in her mid 30's and

Customer Question

I am estanged from my daughter who is now in her mid 30's and has a history of trying to break up my relationships. Firstly with my first wife,(her Mother); then with my second wife who was unable to put up with her behaviour, and now with my current Partner, who has suffered an emotional breakdown following an ongoing campaign of malicious harassment against her.
We believe she is behind this.
We have not seen my daughter since she was invited to my Partners home last Christmas. Her behaviour seemed maliciously intended to break up our relationship- she flirted and made completely inappropriate sexual overtures to me, her Father, and implied I also had a relationship with another woman. She was told the behaviour was not acceptable by e mail following this incident. There was no response or apology from her. She got her Mother, my ex-wife to say that if I contacted either of them again they would call the Police, and my suggestion that she needed professional help was dismissed.
As we wished no further contact with my daughter or her Mother, we did not think this was a problem. However, since this time we have received anonymous nuisance phone calls, interferance with web site entries for my partners business, bogus profile on an "Adlut" site which led to extremely upsetting messages being sent to my partner; hacking into her e mail and Facebook account which she has now had to close; setting up of bogus accounts using my Partners address. There may be more that we do not yet know about!
I accept that I may not be able to stop her but I would like to know what course of action is available to me to at least deter any more of this extremely distressing behaviour. Unfortunately I am only on Pension Credit so imagine my choices are limited. Please would you advise.
Best regards
Colin D Barry.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What action are you hoping to take?
Are you prepared to incur the cost of suing her?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo

Is that an answer because I can't really rate that?

I do not think I can actually prove any of these actions and possibly cannot stop them but would at least like a deterrant.

I was looking to you to know what the options are?



Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Well, the options are really fairly limited.
Proceeding on the basis that she is responsible for this then that would amount to indirect harassment. You can report that to the police. Because it is indirect they are quite unlikely to want to investigate this. They will usually act against people who contact others directly but will not perform IP traces.
It is open to you to try to gather at least some of the evidence yourself but there will be cost in doing so.
If you can gather that evidence then you can always seek an injunction at the civil courts. There is cost in doing that as well although not prohibitively.
It is possible to trace her IP back to some of these actions. People can use disguise IP addresses but it is quite unlikely she would have thought of that.
Can I clarify anything for you?