How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Hi there. My question is a bit delicate, let me explain you

Customer Question

Hi there.
My question is a bit delicate, let me explain you first the context:
As i decided to divorce my husband i found out couple of things not clear.
My husband is from Hong-Kong and we never had time to apply for his spouse visa as he has been travelling a lot.
He owns a limited company in the UK as a fashion designer.
It has been found out that his assistant (from Tawain) who is woking in his shop everyday since 3 years never got paid and never had any working visa either basically modern slavery.
He is a manipulative man that uses others.
I am planning to denounce him for his actions but scare.
The flat we all live in is rented under his company name.
- His company is minus £20000 (he borrowed that money before even meeting me, will i have to pay back for that?)
- If i talk to the immigration services will i get in trouble as well? What are the risks and consequences for me as a spouse? (that man married me only for the visa promising his assistant that as soon as he get the visa he'll make hers.)
- Also will i be able to keep the flat? I just talked to the landlord about the situation and he is willing to make me a new renting contract on my name if i manage to make him go away legally.
- What procedure ad things should i do?
Thank you very much
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.

No, you are not liable for his debts as they are not in your name.

If he never obtained a spouse visa, then there is nothing for you to worry about as far as immigration is concerned. You will not get in trouble if you approach immigration and inform them about this man's intentions.

As far as the flat is concerned, I would advise you to let it continue under his company name as his company will be liable to pay the rent and not you. If you move it to your name, you will become personally liable for the rent. As long as it is in the company's name, it will be his problem and not yours to pay the rent.

May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your answer.

The assistant is still at the place today for one more week (i left at friends place since 2 month to sort out my head together) my husband is away in HK and will be back in november, should i call the immigration today?

Also i'd rather pay the rent because i don't want the landlord (an old man who is a friend) to be in trouble, it's no big deal for me, i just want to make sure that that man won't be able to come back in the UK.

Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
Yes, you may call immigration today.
All the best