How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10776
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Good afternoon I am currently living with my partner in my

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon
I am currently living with my partner in my house and our relationship has broken down and it is now an untenable situation to remain in the same household. My partner has asked if I can write a letter to effectively say I no longer wish her to reside here so she can use this as support to get housing from a local authority or housing association.
I am sure this is fine to do but can I have an example of what to write.....I wish her to have the best chance of getting re-housed quickly.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
Your partner will need to prove she is not making herself intentionally homeless and that she has no security of tenure (ie a right to remain in the property). Therefore your letter to her should be worded as follows. A "Licence" means that a party has no legal security and be terminated at any time.
Dear Y
Following the irretrievable breakdown of our relationship, I write to request that you leave my Property known as***** Anytown within 7 days from the date of this letter. As legal owner of the property, I am entitled to ask you to leave without any form of Notice, under the terms of our implied Licence. However, I hope that by giving you 7 days Notice will give you sufficient time to secure alternative accommodation.
I hope this assists and answers your question.
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She believes that a letter of this nature will assist her to secure alternative accommodation. Is that correct?

Hi Mark,
You are correct- it will be evidence that she has no security to remain living in your property and is also evidence that she is not making herself intentionally homeless.
Kind Regards
Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you