How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

My boyfriend couldn't pass a credit check, so only I was credit

Customer Question

My boyfriend couldn't pass a credit check, so only I was credit checked for a rental property. I paid a £200 holding fee to the agent and signed the contract in my name only. Throughout the process he either confirmed verbally or by text that of the £550 PCM rent he would pay £400 and I would pay £150 as I wouldn't be living there full time. At the last minute he backed out leaving me to sort out the mess. I lost my £200 deposit and paid the landlord an additional £300 to get out of the contract. My former boyfriend says its my problem and he won't give me any money towards my financial outlay. Can you let me know whether legally I can recoup any of this money from him?
The reason I know he cannot pass a credit check is because prior to that we found another house that we both liked, and we both submitted applications. I paid the deposit which I think was around £190, I passed, he failed, and I lost my deposit, and never received any payment from him, although I did ask on numerous occassions for £85 from him.
Also when he was renting a house elsewhere, the 6 month contract was in his name and also his ex girlfriend's. After the six months were up (and she stopped paying her half of the rent), for the next two months, he got me to pay half the rent (£300, for two months), can I do anything about getting that money back? On one occassion he said that he did not have the money for his half of the rent, so I paid all £600 and it took a while for me to get his £300 back, but I did eventually.
I also bought £250 worth of kitchen equipment which he is refusing to return. Please can you let me know whether I have any leverage from a legal perspective?
I have credit card statements for the kitchen equipment, and also my bank statemenets will reflect the rent payments that I have made too.
If you could let me know whether I am likely to be successful in recovering any money from him I would be most grateful. If not, at least I know and will then put the matter to bed.
many thanks
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : How much does he owe please?