How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

I wish to sponsor my friend to visit me for Christmas and New

This answer was rated:

I wish to sponsor my friend to visit me for Christmas and New Year (20 Dec- 3 Jan) She is from Novosibirsk in Russia. She is a doctor and has worked for over 20 years. Sadly Doctor's salaries in Russia are very low (£900) so I need to assist in her visit.
I gather I need to send certain documents:
6 months bank statements - Already ordered
Proof of Mortgage and address - I have these
6 months wage slips - I have these, But can I copy or should I send originals??
Passport copy - Does this need to be certified?
Form SU07/12 - should I complete this or is it better to write a bespoke letter.
Should I also send details of credit available to me (credit cards)?
Should I also include a letter from my employer showing I have been working here since 2009?
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.
In respect of your wage slips I would recommend that you send originals so it is easier for the immigration officer to confirm that they were issued by your employer.
Regarding the passport copy I would recommend that you get this certified, just the photograph page of course, and then get the SU07 written specifically for your friend and then attached your passport copy to the back of it.
No there is no need for you to send evidence of credit available provided you have savings in your account preferably around £2000.00. There is no exact figure that you need to show but £2000.00 would show that you can maintain her should she need it.
You may wish to send your employment contract as well as a letter from your employer confirming that you are permanently employed and stating your salary.
I hope this answers your question if however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My savings account currently has about £1600 and my current account £500 with a £500 overdraft facility.

Can you tell me is the decision process objective providing the evidence is clear and robust?

Thank you for your reply.
It does seem that you have enough savings to maintain her but she would also have some funds which she will show when she applies for her visa thus the maintenance part of it should not be an issue.
In respect of the decision the home office usually refuse a visit visa application on the basis that they believe that the applicant will not return to their home country after their visa expires. Regardless of the monies an applicant may have, they cannot satisfy the home office that they will return to their home country after their visit their application will be refused.
So in this case if she submit evidence of her employment as well as a letter from her employer confirming she has annual leave and is expected to return to work after her holiday this would be helpful, she would also need to submit her employment contract , payslips as well as evidence that she has or rents a property etc If is is able to show the immigration officer that she intends to return to her home country her application should be accepted.
Furthermore, I would also recommend that she includes a letter confirming how shes knows you and how you met etc to confirm that you are a genuine sponsor and have known her long enough to sponsor her.
I hope this clarifies the matter.
Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** clear, even if it does appear to be a tad too subjective for my liking... it's hard to prove what you don't intend to do.

As everything needs to be in English and as mine is obviously better, would the letter regarding the length of our friendship etc. be better coming from me as I can send copies of Russian visas going back to 2008?

Thank you for your reply.
No, but what you can do is draft a letter for her to read and sign and then she can submit that as part of the application. This would be much better coming from the person applying rather than the sponsor. You can then attach the copies of the visas with the letter.
I hope this answers your question.
Kind regards