How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

We are a group of individuals trying to put pressure on our

Customer Question

We are a group of individuals trying to put pressure on our local council on a specific issue (i.e. not increasing the size of the local airport). Do we need to set ourselves up as a legal entity/be registered with a general lobbying body? We do not hold money but may ask for donations if we need to print leaflets, etc. (mostly we provide that money ourselves but we may need to ask for external donations from local residents sympathetic to our cause if, for instance, we need to employ lawyers). We can write a constitution and appoint officers (in fact they already exist), we do write minutes of meetings but do we need to set ourselves up as a company/charity or other legal entity? Thank you
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  UKSolicitorJA replied 3 years ago.
You appear to be an unincorporated association of members and there is no legal requirement for you to register your association or incorporate it or for you to register it as a company.
Since you do not have a charitable purpose, you do not need to form a charity as your objects are to oppose the proposed airport expansion.
See here for further information
May I help further?