How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hi , I have paid a mortgage broker - FSA regulated - over

This answer was rated:

Hi ,
I have paid a mortgage broker - FSA regulated - over £3000 for advice and valuations regarding 3 mortgages that he was organising for me. He did not deliver any of the mortgages that he assured me he could and after numerous emails and calls he has agreed to return all fees to me apart from one survey fee that I paid for £750 - He did say he would give me a receipt and a copy of the valuation - I am still waiting for both.
He has returned £500 but is now not responding to my emails or answering my calls - he had said he would return my money in instalments by the end of October.
My question is - is there any recommended course of action that I should take to pursue this please? I have a trail of emails going back over 6 months - evidence of the service he promised and ultimately his agreement to return my money to me.
Yur advice or guidance is appreciated
Many thanks
Alex Watts : Hello Lisa my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
Alex Watts : If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Hello Alex,


Thank you for your advice - would I claim against the individual - director of the company or against the company?

Alex Watts :

You would claim against the brokers firm.

Alex Watts :

Does this help?

Customer: Yes it does thankyou
Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else for you today?

Customer: Can emails - trail of emails be used as evidence?
Customer: Are trail of emails admissible as evidence?
Customer: Would a county court claim against broker firm have a negative impact on my credit file - I assume it will have an impact on the directors of the company?
Customer: thankyou
Alex Watts :

Yes emails can be used as evidence.

Alex Watts :

No, a County Court claim has no effect whatsoever on your credit file.

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you