How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35087
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi - I have lived with my partner for nearly 6 years. I own

This answer was rated:

Hi - I have lived with my partner for nearly 6 years. I own and pay the mortgage on my house and he has not contributed toward the mortgage for 5 of the past 6 years. He has paid council tax, some utilities, groceries and pet bills. I now wish for us to part and for him to leave my property by he refuses to do so. Can you please let me know my legal rights under these circumstances? Many thanks.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth and how much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What has he actually paid towards the mortgage or any alterations to the property?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Clare

The house is worth roughly £850k and currently there is £473k outstanding on the mortgage. During the first maybe 4-6 months we lived together he paid £2k per month to help with all living expenses but after that he paid nothing further toward the mortgage. He has paid nothing towards alterations to the property. As a side, he operates his own business and since we met I have loaned the business about £70k. I own 1/2 of the shares of the UK limited company which operates this business. I have told him that I will give my shares to him and forgive the debt if he will move but he still refuses to do so. Thanks so much for your help.

Since he is not an owner your ex has no right to remain in the property
You can give him "reasonable written notice to leave"
In terms of the length of the relationship I would suggest at least 28 days - possibly 35 or 42
At the end of that time you can wait until he is out , change the locks and pack his belongings up for collection.
He has not paid anything that give shim any form of financial claim on the property
I hope that this is of assistance =- please ask if you need further details
Clare and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you