How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10953
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

Back in april a vehicle went into the back of me.He admitted

This answer was rated:

Back in april a vehicle went into the back of me.He admitted liability.I sent of all my details to my insurance who gave me permission to get it repaired,this I did the cost was £320.
Now 7 months later they tell me that because I have a £450 excess it is up to me to pay it.
Is this right
Buachaill :

1. An excess on an insurance policy is the amount a person has to pay before a claim is reimbused. Almost all vehicle insurance policies have an excess. It helps to lower the cost of the insurance policy. If your policy does in fact have an excess of £450 and you should check this for definite, it means you must pay the first £450 of any claim. As your claim is only for £320, then this means that you must pay the £320 yourself. So I regret to say that if there is an excess on your policy, then you will have to pay.


So the person who hit me (admitted liability) gets away with paying nothing

Buachaill :

2. No, you can sue them for the £320 damage caused. So you should be making a claim on their insurance, not your own.

Buachaill and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you