How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71031
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

hi I have a friend who recently file a case about

This answer was rated:

hi I have a friend who recently filed a case about sexual abuse against a family friend. Police and social services were involved, the final report from the social worker stated that her children be put under child care protection as she could have done better in protecting her kids, she is still leaving with her kids and waiting for the case to go to court next April as the family friend has refused to plead guilty or not guilty. The social worker has gone further by contacting her employer and informing them about all the details of the case and according to her employer the social worker gave them the impression that she "had tried to cover things up". I would like to know whether this is legal for the social worker to do?

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Is there any reason you think it may not be?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo

What I think is not important, I just wanted to find out whether the social worker had a legal right to inform my friend's employer or not.


Well, it depends what she does.
What is her occupation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, she in a mental health nurse.


That involves working with vulnerable people I'm afraid and so a social worker is free to reveal this information and under an obligation to do so.
Obviously the concern here is not that she herself would harm any person but that by her inaction she would possibly allow mistreatment to continue. That is a transferrable issue given that fairly vulnerable people tend to be under the care of mental health nurses.
That doesn't mean her employers would act of course. It just means they would be informed.
I'm very sorry if that is bad news.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's understandable. Thanks

No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi Jo

I rated "ok service" I don't know why this message is coming up.


You have actually left a bad service rating.
I don't know whether that was a mistake?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo

I must have pressed the button by mistake. Sorry about that.


Don't worry. I know the interface is confusing especially on smaller devices.