How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

If there are two trustees of a Will and one wants to retire

This answer was rated:

If there are two trustees of a Will and one wants to retire as a trustee can the other trustee take on full responsibility or does the retiring trustee have to appoint a new trustee and who agrees who that may be?

Is the Will Maker still alive?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No he passed away in April

Thank you.

There are 2 options available:

1) renounce without appointing someone else; or
2) appoint someone else to act for them.

The executor who does not wish to act as such and who does not wish to appoint someone else to act as an executor may renounce their appointment as an executor as long as they have not started dealing with the estate. If they wish to renounce their role, they must send a letter to the Probate Registry to this effect.

See here for a template letter:

The other option is for the executor to appoint someone else to apply for probate on their behalf, this is done by completing form PA1. The retiring trustee has discretion who to appoint to act in their place.

Hope this helps. Please leave feedback
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If the retiring trustee wishes to appiont someone that the remaining trusee does not agree with can they object and are they able to then take over as trustee on their own?

The remaining trustee may go to court for an order stopping the retiring executor from appointing someone else in that case.

All the best
UKSolicitorJA and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you