How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71140
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

hi I received a Suspended committal order for disobedience

This answer was rated:

I received a Suspended committal order for disobedience (order to attend court for questioning) after not attending the court for questioning.
on the letter the court orders that I be committed to prison for a period of 7 days.
Then I get two options,
1. this order shall be suspended so long as I attend court on given date and complies with the order made on previous date, which was to pay off a credit card debt of £12000.
2. if I does not comply with these terms, a warrant of arrest shall be be issued and I shall when arrested be brought before a judge to consider whether the committal order should be discharged.
Please advise me what I can do to avoid prison term. I can not pay the full amount in one go but willing to pay small set amount every month.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
You are not in contempt for not paying. You are in contempt for not attending.
You can attend, apologise for not attending and make an offer to pay in installments. You do need to make it a reasonable offer and also take with you sufficient evidence to prove your income and expenditure. The judge will want to consider your ability to pay.
Do not ignore this. The civil courts do not put up with non co operation as the criminal courts do sometimes. Ignoring this will lead to custody.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Jo

Your answer is very helpful

I thought I have to serve the prison term.

Now I understand what to do.



That will only happen if you ignore it.
All the best.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you