How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

hi i lease a premises from a private landlord, pay £1365 per

This answer was rated:

i lease a premises from a private landlord, pay £1365 per month, they wanted £2400 per month. i offered £1600 and they declined. later the arbitartor reported the rent should be £1525 per month. landlrds want me to pay 50% of the arbitration cost. I think they should pay the full amount as i offered more than that before he was employed. also their surveyor wrote to me before employing the arbitrator that if i lost he will asked the arbitrator to allow the landlords to recover the full cost from me. now they have lost should thay not pay for the full cost. do i have a case?
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : For now please let me know what does it say in the lease about arbitration cost ?

shared equally, but the point i am raising is that we did not need to go to arbitration if the landlords were not too greedy. we offered £1600 prior to arbitration being appointed

Alex Watts :

Ok - has arbitration happened?


yes and rent was decided £1525

Alex Watts : Ok, so you won?

that is right

Alex Watts :

Did the Arbitrator make any award for costs?


no, but he was not aware that we offered £1600 per month before he was employed

Alex Watts : Why did you not raise when the decision was made the offer please?

we were told not to disclose any offers/counter offers as this may affect the independant valuation

Alex Watts : Ok.
Alex Watts : Then you should pay the arbitrator as he/she could claim the fees from you.
Alex Watts : bUt you certainly have a case against the landlord.
Alex Watts : Clear
Alex Watts : Clearly you offered £1600 and only £1525 was awarded so you should have your costs
Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
Alex Watts : If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

the bill was sent to the landlords directly and they paid it. now they are trying to recover it from me. threatening me with bailiffs

Alex Watts : Ok. They can't get bailiffs without a court order. So You don't need to worry.
Alex Watts : .If they issue proceedings you can defend on the baiss they secured a lower amount than you offered.
Alex Watts : Therefoere you should not have to pay those costs.

but they claim that they can send baillifs without going to court and close the shop

Alex Watts : in that case you can seek an injunction to prevent them from doing that. It's form N1 but also N16a as well.
Alex Watts : The process is the same but you seek an Injunction rather than money.

can i download it

Alex Watts : yes

which site?

Alex Watts :
Alex Watts : And
Alex Watts :

excellent. thanks

Alex Watts : can I clairfy anything else?

this is good . thanks

Alex Watts : Great. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go, the button should be at the bottom of the screen.
Alex Watts : if you need more help plesse click reply.
Ash and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you