How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My mother passed away recently not leaving a will. My sister

This answer was rated:

My mother passed away recently not leaving a will. My sister and I have just had the grant of probate through. My sister wants me to keep all the money and then out of her share pay for any work to her flat, holidays etc from this money. The reason is that she is claiming her rent, council tax and I think pension credit.Is this illegal.. for me. I'am not happy doing this so I would like to check my position.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
What is the extent of the estate?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi the estate is about £80,000. which we wii divide between us.

If your sister wishes to do this then she will be committing benefit fraud and she needs to be aware that the DWP does run checks to catch this type of fraud
You however will not be committing an offence - but if you do decide to do this I suggest that you keep the money in a separate account as there is a risk of it being frozen in the event of an investigation
Please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi thank you for your advice. So even if the money is in my account she can be prosecuted ?

Yes I am afraid so - it is her capital and she needs to declare it
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you