How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Can i make a second amended witness statement

This answer was rated:

I've made a police statement as a witness and the defendant is on remand wiring for trial in dec at crown. If i wanted to make a second statement as there were a few things untrue in the first statement, could i get a custodial sentence for making a false statement?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Unlikely if all you are doing is correcting your statement
Alex Watts : However if you are saying what you said is totally untrue then you could be charged with wasting police time.
Alex Watts : But this is usually for hoax calls.
Alex Watts : If you are amending a statement that should be fine.
Alex Watts : Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?
Customer: I have already made a retraction statement but the cps r still prosecuting. So if i go to police and ask to make a second statement basically saying that most of the first statement is untrue, apart from the possibility of being charged with wasting police time, i won't get prosecuted for purgery or perverting the course of justice? Im very worried
Alex Watts : Just because you make a retraction statement does not stop the proseuction
Alex Watts : you won't get prosecuted for perjury or perveting no.
Alex Watts : Does that clarify?

Yes thankyou.

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you