How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 818
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

I wanted to ask your advice. My mother in laws wall in soaked

Customer Question

I wanted to ask your advice. My mother in laws wall in soaked through and the damage (which we are fully aware of), is coming from her neighbours kitchen. We have had her floor boards up to confirm that there isn't any water pipes, which there isn't. What we do know is that in the kitchen next door, a force wall has been errected and behind this force wall is where we believe the damage is coming from.
My mother in law has lived in her house for 52 years, and she knows that exact layout of her neighbours home, as she used to visit regualarly many years back.
The owner of the house denies any problems and will not take responsibility. He rents this property out to an organisation who houses adults with learning dissabilities in the house. We have been trying to get this problem resolved now for over 7 years. Legally, what can we do????
I look forward to hearing from you.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.


How many of your mother in law's walls are damaged? It certainly sounds like your neighbour is likely to be responsible for compensation and depending how bad the damage is he can be ordered to carry out repairs too. Your mother in law needs to get some evidence, perhaps by instructing a surveyor to carry out an investigation into the problem. He will be able to advise on likely source even if he can't get access to the neighbour's house.


Depending how serious the problem is then she might want to see a solicitor and get them to instruct a surveyor for her with an eye to potential litigation. A solicitor can be found via this link.


Legally there may well be an action in negligence or nuisance against the neighbour.