How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

my wife is a us citizen but has lived

This answer was rated:

my wife is a us citizen but has lived in the uk from 1978, has a British mother. on her passport it is stamped GIVIN LEAVE TO ENTER THE UK FOR INDEFINITE PERIOD last stamp in in passport dated 1991. she has been here form her 16 year old. date of birth 07/06/62. every time is come home though customs always hassled. what is the best thing for her to have. dual passports us and uk or get a right of abode within the uk many thanks markXXX

Hello Mark,

I would advise her to apply for naturalisation as a British Citizen as she is allowed to have dual UK and US nationality and once she receives British Citizenship, she will be free from UK immigration control and will not be hassled at the UK border.

See here for the requirements for applying for naturalisation:

May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you