How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71031
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hello,A year and a half ago i was a victim of an assault

Customer Question

A year and a half ago i was a victim of an assault out side a pub. the pub belong to the defendant as far as i know. i was left with fractures do my face, my teeth were knocked out of line, i suffered post traumatic distress what lead onto anxiety and now depression. recently the the trial went to court where the defendant had to admit his original statement to the police was false, whilst under oath and that he did punch me in the face. differing greatly from his original statement. still despite this he was found not guilty as his lawyer put a reason of doubt to the jury, and was actually in contempt of court by using the information he did the judge did not pick up on this well at all.
now for my question, despite the verdict in a court of law being not guilty, would it be worth opening a case in a civil court? To try and claim some form of compensation from the defendant or his premises.
thanks for any help.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
You can sue. There is a lower standard of proof. In truth, I have never found that makes any difference at all. If a matter cannot be proven in a criminal court I have not generally found that it will in a civil court.
There is also no legal aid. You will have to pay privately to bring this matter. You are describing injuries that are not the most serious but would probably exceed £1k so costs will be an issue. Sometimes you can get a no win no fee firm to act but since this has lead to a not guilty verdict you have to be realistic about the chances of that happening.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Can I clarify anything for you?