How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I took out an accident / off sick insurance 4 years ago with

This answer was rated:

I took out an accident / off sick insurance 4 years ago with AXA, which had a 14 day clause before you can claim. I am self employed and this gave me peace of mind should I need it. Two and a half weeks ago I went into hospital for a prostate operation and phoned AXA a week beforehand. They checked my policy and told me to phone the day before I was to go in and they would send a claims form. I did this only to be told I was only covered for accident only. When I came out of hospital I phoned to complain and they are looking through the archives and still looking. I gave them the name of the person who took my details and they tell me 30 people where made redundant and she was one of them. I did say it looks like they are only after their commission without proper cover to the customer. My policy states that I can claim £500 a week for a max of nearly a year. I will only be off for 3-4 weeks and I am still waiting for the answer from AXA.
I would appreciate how to persue this?
Brian Lawrence
Alex Watts : Hello Brian my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : For now please let me know how much you are seeking to claim please?

I will be off work either three or four weeks at £500 a week.


I will be looking at £2,000


I know AXA are looking through their archives but that has been 3 weeks to date and I am still off work as it is only 3 weeks today I went into hospital. It may turn out that AXA will pay, but I wanted to know how I stand should they not.

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a payment within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help:

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you