How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34906
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

I have split up with my girlfriend 2 months ago. We have been

Customer Question

I have split up with my girlfriend 2 months ago. We have been living together in my house for the last 2.5 years. She has a 16 year old daughter living with us.
I have a 10 year old son through a previous marriage who I have on 11 out of 28 days in a month - amicably with my ex-wife. However, I feel that the tension in the house is getting too much that I don't want him exposed to the rows and arguments. It is also not good for my ex's 16 year old daughter.
Prior to moving in my ex was living in rented council accommodation.
She has been contributing approx £90 per month to the council tax, gas/electric and water but the monthly household bills are far higher at approx £300 per month excluding the mortgage.
My ex has approached the council but as her daughter is 16 they are low priority on the council waiting list.
My ex refuses to rent either a housing association property or a private rented property as she considers this a waste of money.
She can get a mortgage for about £60k, I have offered to give her £5k but she is being unreasonable with respect to the type of property that she can afford. No house is ever good enough unless i involves me giving her about 30k as anything else she deems unfair.
What can I do to get her out of my house and home so that the atmosphere can return to normal for my son?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you
Your ex has no right to remain in your property and no financial claim on it.
She does have the right to "reasonable written notice to leave" - at least two months given the involvement of the 16 year old.
You may make it three months given the nearness of christmas.
At the end of that time you can simply change the locks when she is out
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details