How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10737
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Hello My mother passed away three weeks ago. I am the executor

This answer was rated:

My mother passed away three weeks ago. I am the executor of her will which I have a copy and the original is at her solicitors office. I am also the only beneficiary mentioned as we have no other close family apart from my daughter and her children. She lived in a council flat and had savings of £12,000 and £2,000 in a current account. There are no outstanding debts or claims on her estate.
What do I need to do to execute her Will, do I need to register it or tell any government body that I am the executor or can I just deal with her affairs?
Her death is registered and the details have been given to the pensions and benefits agencies and all other departments that would need to know.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

I am sorry to hear of your loss.

Banks/Building Societies can insist on seeing the Grant of Probate before closing any account if the deceased's Estate is worth more than £5,000. Nowadays, some Banks will close an Account without sight of Probate and instead ask for the Executor to sign a Statutory Declaration before the account is then closed.

You therefore need to contact the Bank(s) to find out their requirements.

If the Bank insists on seeing Probate, then you will need to apply for this, as Executor, at your local Probate Registry. You can either do this yourself (it will entail completing a Form detailing the Assets and then attending a short interview) or you can instruct the Solicitors to do it on your behalf, and which they are likely to charge you approximately £300 plus VAT and which will entail you swearing an Oath to confirm you are the Executor.

I hope this assists you and answers your question.

Kind Regards


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Al

Thanks for the reply so unless Im asked to prove Probate by anyone there is no need for me to 'register' the Will or myself with anyone else? I have a business aside from my paid work so I will inform my accountant of any monies left I inherit for Tax purposes and that should be the end of my duties?



Hi Kev,

Thanks for your reply.

You are correct- unless you need to obtain Probate to satisfy the Bank(s) there is nothing you need to do with the Will and there is no requirement for you to register the Will with any official body.

Yes- just let your Accountant know and that's all that needs to be done.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you