How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10736
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

How do I make a gift of small plot of land to my son?

This answer was rated:

How do I make a gift of small plot of land to my son?

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

Do you know if the land in question is registered at the Land Registry, and if so, does it form part of a whole Title or is it just part of a larger section of land that you own?

Is there a Mortgage on the land?

I look forward to hearing from you.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just small part of my large garden. There is no mortgage on my



Well, it is quite straight forward, other than you will need a Surveyor to prepare a Land Registry compliant Plan, showing the dimensions of the land you intend to gift.

Once this has been prepared, you would need to instruct a local Conveyancing Solicitor to prepare the Land Registry Transfer document (with Plan attached to it), which will need to be signed by you, and which will then need to be registered at the Land Registry.

Your Solicitor is likely to charge approx £200-£300 plus VAT for this work, and there will be a Land Registry Registration fee of approx £40. You would need to check with your Solicitor that he would be happy to act for your Son also.

I hope this assists and answers your question.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you