How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10774
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Hi, I am in the process of splitting up with my wife. We have

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am in the process of splitting up with my wife. We have no children and it is just the matter of property and possesions.
I have made an offer to buy her out of the house along with some of our possesions,
she has accepted my offer and I am having a loan from the bank to apy it. I also have an appointment with a mortgage advisor on Tuesday to deal with the mortgage side of things.
Do we need to put anything between us in writing and sign it regarding the money offer to buy her out and who is having what from the house and what is being left?
Many Thanks

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

If you both want a "clean break", then you will need to instruct a Solicitor to prepare a separation agreement or Consent Order. Both will confirm the details of the division of assets and would then normally prevent the other from claiming anything further in the future (in the case of a Consent Order, this is legally binding on both parties full stop, whereas the terms of a separation agreement can sometimes be challenged by one party at a future date if the circumstances of the parties change).

A Consent Order can, however, only be signed if you are going through a divorce, so ideally one of you will need to issue a divorce petition and once the Consent Order has been signed, you are safe in the knowledge that no further financial claims can be made.

I hope this assists and sets out the legal position.

Kind Regards


Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you