How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hello, I hope you can help. At the beginning of August, I sold

This answer was rated:

Hello, I hope you can help. At the beginning of August, I sold my car privately. The buyer has not yet transferred the ownership of the car into his name and has since incurred charges on the M50 toll, which he has not paid. I have tried to contact him but he does not reply to my messages. Since the ownership of the car is still in my name, I am held accountable for the toll charges, even though I was not even in the country when the toll was used by the buyer of my car. What are my options to resolve this, as I keep getting letters asking me to pay the toll?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Haven't you told the DVLA of the transfer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The buyer has the papers as he wanted to send them off himself and did not trust me to send them off after he paid me. Without the papers being sent to the Motor tax office, I don't think they will take the transaction seriously.

No, that would be a problem.
Unfortunately the onus is upon you not him to disclose the transfer. You are supposed to use the V5C form
If you cannot now do that then you need to write to
SA99 1AR
giving them the index number, the make and model, the exact date of sale, the name and address of the new keeper and your signature.
In terms of the penalties you are incurring, you are liable as the registered keeper. You could try appealing and asking them to exercise their discretionary grounds to cancel. If you have notified the DVLA then there is a better chance.
You could also sue the new keeper in breach of contract essentially for any costs you incur if you can show that it was a specific term agreed that he would disclose.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you