How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35087
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hello my nephew who is 1 has been taken into 'temporary foster'

This answer was rated:

Hello my nephew who is 1 has been taken into 'temporary foster' care, as his mother (who is separated from his father (my brother), was involved in a police pursuit at 3am in the morning with my nephew in the vehicle with no seat belt or child seat.
The child's mother has been in and out of the care system and she had a previous child that has been taken into care.
My brother is on the birth certificate and our mother went straight down the meeting at social services and asked to take the baby back to our house, unfortunately my brother wasn't present and he was given to a couple who were supposed to be vetted and temporary foster carers instead of us. It has now materialised that the couple who have been really good to him, are not registered foster parents and are the parents of the girl was involved in the police chase, also the woman works nights and a 16 year old has been looking after him while she has been asleep.
I attended a meeting and asked if the baby can be placed in care at our home but they have said we need to be vetted.
They are now talking of moving him to new registered foster parents, effectively strangers again.
What can we do legally, as I feel this has been escalated unnecessarily and we are being totally over looked and not listened too
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Where is the child's father?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He is living in the area and has contact with the child once a week, he is also on the birth certificate

Social Services are under a legal duty to try and place children with relatives where at all possible
They should have already done an assessment of you as soon as they realised that the placement was not with family or authorised Foster Parents.
Your son needs to make a forma written complaint that he has not been fully involve din the process since he does have Parental Responsibility and he should instruct Social Services that he wishes you to deal with matters as his representative - and for the child to be placed with you
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further help
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you