How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71153
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Myself and my partner have been the subject of libelous talk

This answer was rated:

Myself and my partner have been the subject of libelous talk of theft , been called dangerous , evil , by the honorable secretary of the dog breed club l belong to , members of that club have also been responsible for the character assassination of my partner that started all this , a member of the public making enquires was told to avoid us as all cost as we as other totally untrue allegations , my complains fell of deaf ears as I had been complaining in ignorance to the Secretary , one club member and this member of the public have come forward and told us all they know , it is apparently common knowledge throughout the club , we believe we have been the subject of commitee meetings as well , the KC have said take legal action , there is no hope that we could fund anything as expensive as that , this has had a big impact on our lives , can I as a member ask to see the minutes of their meetings , they say not , will not discuss it , as a oaid up member of a club these people surely should represent me , mdo I have no rights of self defense pleased
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What is the defamation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Lies including theft of rescue funds , that my patrner has a business bring dogs in from mainland Europe , that he is dangerous , evli and people should avoid him , even advising that people should not attend social events where he is present , that we were having an affair while my husband was in hospital dying , that he is bankrupt , that he abandoned his wife and gave her a terrible life . None of this is true , not one word

You cannot compel the Club to attend a meeting or 2 allow you to have access to any papers or emails or anything else although if you are going to pursue a defamation claim, you can apply to court for an order to make them let you have these documents et cetera.
I appreciate that it's frustrating for you as a member of the club (which you pay a fee) not to be heard but unfortunately with what is a private club, there is nothing you can do about it. Indeed, even if they have rules, they can completely ignore their own rules and the only recourse the members have is to remove the committee at an extra ordinary general meeting.
You can of course bring a claim against the culprits for defamation but that is not going to be cheap or quick.
My suggestion would be to refer the matter to the police because clearly whoever the culprits are are harassing you and they are intending to harass you. You are entitled to protection from harassment under the Protection from Harassment Act
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you