How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

A property I am selling was built in 1967 as an office block.

Customer Question

A property I am selling was built in 1967 as an office block. It was converted into apartments for residential use in 2004 and now I am informed that it may contain alumina cement and the purchasers bank is asking for conifmation or otherwise that this is so? No details are available as to if this may be true and in order to sell the property I require to know what Insurance is available to cover problems in the future?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
There is no insurance available for this that I am aware of what you are going to need to do is get a structural engineer to take samples of the structure and have it analysed to prove that there is no high alumina cement in the building.
Once you have that report you will then be in a position to move the whole matter forward.
The default situation is that lenders valuers will always say that it may have high alumina cement (or any other problem) and that a buyer should carry out further investigations.
In circumstances like this, the buyer will not carry out the investigations but will insist that the seller does them and indemnifies the buyer in the event that the report of the investigations is defective.
Can I clarify anything for you?