How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12085
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Hi my uncle is terminally ill in wendworth prison London, he

Customer Question

Hi my uncle is terminally ill in wendworth prison London, he hasn't received any treatment. He can't eat or drink and hasn't been put on a drip. Is this not a basic human right to receive medical attention while you serve your sentence. My uncle didn't murder or harm anyone in any way, he owned an illegal waste business and didn't pay his taxes. What can we do to transfer him to a hospital to get proper tests done and try and make him as comfortable as possible.
Please help!!!
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
As a matter of urgency you should contact the Prisons and Probation Ombudsman. Contact details are at
Also contact your local MP to see if he or she can offer assistance but the PPO should be your first port of call, by telephone or email.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Don't you think his immediate family have already contacted these bodies?... We need immediate action and I thought after paying such a fee online that I would have gotten something more concrete. Your comment to my question was very avasiive.
Please please help us this man is going to die if he doesn't get the appropriate treatment and what good is fighting the law when he's gone
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
I have no idea what the family has or hasn't done as you haven't detailed that in your narrative.
Of course your relative has a legal right to medical treatment but the answer to the second part of your question about what you can do to transfer him to hospital is nothing, as he is in custody. If the prison service has decided not to send him to hospital and an approach to the prison governor hasn't worked, then the correct route is the PPO.
If none of that has worked so far you should explain to me what has been attempted so far and why nothing been done by the authorities to move him to a hospital facility and I'll try to assist you further. In particular what has the PPO said about this?
Generally, could you explain your situation a little more?