How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71158
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

my son has received a Police Information Notice, my question

This answer was rated:

my son has received a Police Information Notice, my question is , is it valid if his D.O.B is incorrect , and is it valid if nn witnessing officer has signed it, other than the one issuing it, and no Police reference number on it
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Is this a harassment notice?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes this is a harassment notice

Did it identify the person not to contact?
Was it a former girlfriend by any chance?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes it identified the person not to contact, and no not a girlfriend , it is a business acquaintance

Well, that is unusual.
I am afraid that harassment warnings are very rarely invalidated. The reason for this essentially is that they have no legal basis. They are no more than a police method of diverting allegations of harassment away from prosecutions. Unfortunately most harassments are a load of nonsense and to avoid criminalising people the police issue harassment warnings.
As long as it identifies clearly the subject of the warning that will be sufficient I'm afraid. There are even cases that have held a verbal instruction not to make contact as sufficient notice.
In truth, almost no legal document will be invalidated by incorrect dates of birth and similar things.
Sorry if that is bad news.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The statement that he is not allowed to contact the person directly, indirectly or by any other means is a problem as it is my next door neighbour and it prohibits my son and grandchildren visiting me as we share a communal drive and his visits may be construed as further harassment and may be taken further by the police, how do I ensure that will not happen?

There isn't any way of doing that. Ultimately any of us are vulnerable to false or exaggerated allegations.
All you can do is defend them if they are made.
Harassment warnings don't prevent him visiting you. They prevent him making contact with the other person. If he does no more than walk up your drive and go into your house then that is not harassment. Obviously if he loiters outside and stares at the other person, for instance, then that probably is.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe that the accusations are a pack of lies and I am afraid that if he sees my son outside my house that he will call the police again and make more false accusations. Am I allowed to talk to my neighbour or will that be part of the harassment process?

Yes, of course they are and of course he will. I haven't made any allegations of harassment and I suspect most people will get through their whole life without doing so. Often the problem lies with the accuser.
I wouldn't talk to them. It will get you in trouble.
You could always invest in a CCTV system for outside your house which will prove what he has or hasn't done. They are not expensive now.
Jo C. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you