How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Best Way to collect a rent debt of £1050 without a contract

This answer was rated:

I have been paying an Estate Agent rent for a flat my son & his college Colleague have rented. The Colleague was his own Guarantor & paid his deposit but I was my sons Guarantor. The estate agent would not take 2 payments a month so I ended up being the single source of payment to the Estate Agent. Everything was fine until the last 2 months before we terminated the Lease and they both moved out. My Sons Colleague claimed to have had a mix up with the Direct Debit and would pay the 2 outstanding months of rent he had not paid for JUN14 & JUL14 in SEP as per a text I Rceived from him. Since then he has gone to ground , has no intention of paying - the sum is £400 a month so £800.. This does not include his share of a £500 Water Bill I have also paid. He owes me £1050 but I do not have a contract with him - What is the best legal way to recover this debt ? Please

You do not need a written contract with him as long as there was an arrangement that the rent and bills would be shared equally.
I suggest that you file a court claim against him online at for the money.
This should prompt him to pay up.
May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you