How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hi we purchased a wedding ring from a company called Smooch

Customer Question

Hi we purchased a wedding ring from a company called Smooch the (wedding ring specialists) for £2,850.
When the ring arrived it was a little too small, I telephoned in and was instructed to return the ring as it would be re-made, not re sized. this we did.
A couple of weeks later a ring was sent back to us,
We got married on August 17 2014 5 days later the ring broke, it very clearly hadn't been re-made but re-sized and soldered, obviously quite badly! We were in Cyprus at the time and were unable to use the ring for a church service that we had planned there.
I telephoned on our return and we were assured that the ring would be re-made this time using the same metal and stones.
After a period of time we emailed in to register our clear distrust with the company, asking the question how could we tell if the ring was going to be re-made or just repaired, we were then told that we could be sent a photograph of the broken ring together with the new ring. We asked the question how could this be possible if the new ring was to be made with the old metal and stones of the ring we used on our wedding day?
We then received a patronising email and an offer of £100.
Some weeks later we still hadn't received the ring.
Its got to the point when all we want is a full refund, this has been refused by Smooch,
Is it possible that we are able to pursue a claim for a full refund and compensation for at least the cost of having a new ring blessed in the Anglican and Orthodox church, which was our initial intention.
kind regards
chris Chryssafi
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

For now please let me know how you paid for the purchase?

JACUSTOMER-5fzvx2w7- :

Hi Alex

JACUSTOMER-5fzvx2w7- :

I'm not sure if you received my first answer, I paid by MasterCard debit in 2 tranches of 1/3 on order and the balance on completion.

JACUSTOMER-5fzvx2w7- :


JACUSTOMER-5fzvx2w7- :


Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer before you leave today.

If the system won’t let you please click reply.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: